Lose some, Win some...

The day started at 3:30AM. Did it have to? Absolutely not - my flight wasn't until 6:20AM. It was just one of those mornings of waking up an hour prior to my alarm clock and not being able to go back to sleep. Today, I was to fly out to Molokai for work, specifically to help the Molokai Community Health Center with an IT infrastructure assessment and to install the flat screen for their video teleconferencing system.

I got ready, jumped in my whip, pulled out of the driveway, and as I made my way down the street, I discovered an accident diverting traffic around the block. As a result, it took me approximately 45 minutes to make it to the freeway (and 15 to drive to the airport). I checked in, deciding that my briefcase with a few tools was nominal enough to carry on the plane. TSA however, felt otherwise. They deemed one of the tools too big to carry on the plane (an 8" plier) and had me check in my bag. The Island Air personnel at the counter let me know that my bag may not make it until the 8:35 flight since we were cutting it close. Whah!?? Ok, whatever. I proceeded to the gate only to find that my plane was absent (sort of like the "great" in my "great day"). I turned to the Island Air counter and kindly asked the personnel if gate 77 was the correct gate and she abruptly replied, "yup," pointed to the airplane as it headed toward the runway and unlike a customer service representative she stated, "that's your plane. GONE!" WTF? Seriously. I know I already sound like a complaining bitch but, this lady was rude. "Next flight, 8:35AM," as she handed me a ticket (that was already printed out for me?).

A few hours off my mark, I finally made it to the health center and proceeded with my assessment in conjunction with a local vendor. Information Technology, as we all know, can present some challenges but, this day was extraordinary. Small hurdles seemed appeared out of nowhere like the aliens in the finale of Space Invaders, ganging up to destroy me. I finally had a moment to install the flat screen and as my colleague and I removed the new tv from the box, dismantled the old system, and placed the old and new screens side by side, we realized that the new screen would not mount to the bracket. (Insert UUUGGGHHHH! here.) All said and told the day was less than stellar. It was as if I had accomplished many things, all of which I did horribly - sort of like baking 500 bad tasting cookies.

I returned to the assessment and the technician who was assisting me asked that I load an agent on all the servers. When I completed the task, I called the technician to let him know, hoping he could verify that the agents were properly loaded before I departed. He was on another call and since it was close to my departure time (and I wasn't going to miss 2 flights in one day), I decided to leave.

I arrived at the airport, returned the car, and as I was walking to the check in counter, the technician called to let me know that 4 out of the 5 agents loaded correctly (insert another UUGGGGHHH! here). I explained to him the other things that I felt were incomplete, needed addressing, and all of the things I would need to complete from Oahu - truly a bummer of a conversation. As I looked down, kicking the roaches to make sure someone felt as crappy as I did, there it was in all of its glory.... A 20 dollar bill. Maybe this day won't be so bad after all.


  1. Sounds awesome... just as awesome as when we went to Maui and decided to "relax" in the STUPID Hawaiian Airlines VIP Lounge where they don't announce your flight boarding is CLOSING. So stupid. What a waste of time that was to be sitting in the lounge.


Post a Comment

Popular Posts